This award winning multi-disciplinary architecture + design firm has an extensive portfolio encompassing multi-family residential, student housing, mixed-use and hospitality projects as well as corporate and government. The firm’s dynamic, design team structure promotes collaboration and innovation, while investing in the talent and expertise of all professional staff and incorporating the latest technology throughout the organization. They are committed to surpassing their clients’ expectations with design solutions that reflect and respect the unique cultural, social and built environment traditions of communities. Given the firm’s continued growth, they are seeking a Design Director with experience and expertise in multi-family, mixed-use and/or hospitality projects to assume a key leadership role in their growing Washington, DC office.
The Design Director is an entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, highly skilled in the design of large complex multi-family, mixed-use and/or hospitality projects while remaining focused on client engagement and mentoring. S/he will work closely and collaborate with Project Managers, Directors and the CEO office in the development of concepts and strategies that respond to program, client and project requirements while striving for design excellence. The firm’s strengths lie in the integration of architecture, landscape architecture and engineering, and the Design Director, as a design, client and office leader, will work closely across disciplines, collaborating in the development of exemplary projects.
With exceptional skills at building long-term relationships, s/he will lead marketing efforts with the CEO, business development and design colleagues to attract new clients and maintain existing clients in Chicago and nationally. The Design Director will manage the full scope of projects including design management, project delivery and project performance/ profitability. Adept with the big picture and the smallest details, the Design Director will have proven design and client leadership experience. S/he will communicate clearly with clients for any required decisions that impact the firm’s design goals, schedule and delivery of documents. In addition, the Design Director is responsible for:
- Lead design for large complex multi-family, mixed-use and hospitality projects while building a culture of design across the office.
- Leads marketing efforts with the business development staff, management staff and the design staff to attract new clients and to maintain existing clients.
- Oversees project documents process for issuance to meet the client’s development program and budget. Implements design and production processes and policies in line with the project fee budget, goals and professional standards.
- Leads the design team in overviewing the plan layouts process for the projects; includes the determination of functional and spatial requirements and prepares information regarding design, specifications, materials, color and equipment.
- Markets and coordinates the integration of our “holistic multi-disciplinary approach” in a unified design for client review and approval.
- Maintains appropriate records and files as accessible to the firm’s leadership.
- Maintains a free flow of communications with the Directors, Project Managers and staff members relative to duties and activities.
- Performs as Client leader for the service and documents production with Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design and Engineering staff and independent consultants.
- Receives project direction from the CEO with regards to the Boards overall direction, goals and policies.
- Overviews the design and technical quality review process as part of client “promise” delivery process. Provides internal quality reviews of projects and teams under their direct control.
- Supports, implements and coordinates office standards and procedures during the project delivery process.
- Master of Architecture Degree and Architecture License with NCARB certification.
- 15+ years design and client leadership experience with developer driven projects
- Strong written, verbal and drawing communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective presenting information and responding to questions from managers, clients and the general public.
- Strong Revit, Microsoft Office Suite and related software systems that are at the forefront of architectural practice.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture and Licensure required, LEED AP preferred
- 15+ years progressive project experience and leadership on complex projects including multi-family residential new construction and renovation/restoration
- Experience with all phases of projects including successful experience navigating and interacting with planning boards and review boards.
- Collaborative leader with a proven track record of running teams and working closely with clients, sub-consultants and vendors while completing large, complex projects
- Strong Knowledge of zoning ordinances, laws and regulations related to design and construction for multi-family residential and/or hospitality projects
- Proven ability to present information and respond quickly to inquiries from managers, clients, and the general public
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility, and an understanding of market forces pertaining to fees, scope and schedule requirements