This award winning multi-disciplinary architecture, engineering + planning firm has an extensive portfolio encompassing multi-family residential, student housing, mixed-use and hospitality projects as well as corporate and government projects. The firm’s dynamic, design team structure promotes collaboration and innovation, while investing in the talent and expertise of all professional staff and incorporating the latest technology throughout the organization. They are committed to surpassing their clients’ expectations with design solutions that reflect and respect the unique cultural, social and built environment traditions of communities. Given the firm’s continued growth, they are seeking a Structural Discipline Lead with demonstrated experience and expertise across multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects, to assume a key firmwide leadership role based in their DC practice site.
The Structural Discipline Lead is an entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, highly skilled in the design and leadership of structural engineering for large complex multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects while remaining focused on leading the structural engineering team comprised of 20+ professionals across three practice sites. The Structural Discipline Lead is responsible for management and scheduling of the full discipline team, coordination with other Directors/Managing Partners/Project Managers in leadership of projects, participation in the hiring/annual review process, marketing alongside architectural and engineering colleagues, and coordination of mentoring/training opportunities.
The Structural Discipline Lead will work closely and collaborate with Project Managers and Directors in the oversight and development of concepts and strategies that respond to program, client and project requirements while striving for design excellence. The firm’s strengths lie in the integration of architecture, engineering and planning, and the Structural Discipline Lead, as a practice, design, client, and office leader, will work closely across disciplines, collaborating in the development of exemplary projects. As a fully integrated practice creating dynamic buildings in which to live, work and play, the Structural Discipline Lead is integral to the project’s success through their expert engineering guidance and ability to lead and develop structural engineering talent.
With exceptional skills at building long-term relationships, they will be involved with business development efforts with architecture, marketing/BD, and design colleagues to attract new clients and maintain existing clients regionally and nationally. The Structural Discipline Lead will oversee the full scope of projects including design management, project delivery and project performance/profitability. Adept with the big picture and the smallest details, the Structural Discipline Lead will have proven practice, design, management, and client leadership experience. They will communicate clearly with clients for any required decisions that impact the firm’s design goals, schedule and project delivery. The Structural Discipline Lead will create a culture of technical excellence that encourages emerging talent to learn and grow in an inclusive and collaborative environment.
DISCIPLINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following and other duties may be assigned:
DISCIPLINE PROJECT + CLIENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Hiring Staff
- Scheduling Staff
- Weekly Meeting with Managing Partners
- Monthly Operations Meeting
- Project Management Deliverables and Budgets
- Employee Reviews
- Mentoring and Training
- Document and Detail Standards
- Quality Control
The Structural Discipline Lead is actively engaged with clients and projects, leading, or managing the following:
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Engage with clients and Directors to review and ensure owner engineering needs are successfully addressed
- Provide oversight of the design requirements, specifications, and performance requirements to determine the best and most appropriate designs to meet customer expectations, code requirements, and all life and safety considerations.
- Provide design oversight of new facility engineering systems or modification of existing systems considering cost, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical factors.
- Review technical information concerning advantages and limitations which affect long range facility and space planning.
- Confer openly and directly in a respectful and professional manner with colleagues to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs.
- Provide leadership for Directors of Structural Engineering
- Ensure signing and sealing of engineering plans and specifications for assigned projects.
- Responsible for reviewing disciplinary project budgets with Directors.
- Provide oversight for structural design work across the practice.
- Proficiency with the IBC and ASCE 7 building design codes as well as material specific design codes for steel, concrete, wood, and masonry.
- Maintain a free flow of communications with the Partner-In-Charge and the Project Manager, as well as other firm members relative to the activities on assigned projects.
- Responsible for the technical accuracy and completeness of the structural engineering documentation for assigned projects.
- 20+ years progressive practice and project leadership experience with a portfolio that includes multi-family residential, mixed-use, or government projects
- BS degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university. MS degree in Structural Engineering preferred.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required. Structural Engineering (SE) license preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to write cohesive reports and business correspondence. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective presenting information and responding to questions from managers, clients and the general public.
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility, and an understanding of market forces pertaining to fees, scope and schedule requirements
- Strong written, verbal and drawing communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency with structural engineering software such as RISA 3D/Floor, RAM Steel, ADAPT Floorpro/Edge/Matt, Enercalc, Woodworks, Ramsteel, and Microsoft Office Suite. AutoCad/Revit experience preferred.