Our client is a leading International multi-disciplinary practice consistently recognized and awarded at the highest levels for design excellence and technical innovation. The firm leverages its international expertise and in-depth knowledge of local markets through a network of culturally diverse, people centric global design studios focused on Commercial, Hospitality, Civic + Cultural, Science + Technology, Education, Healthcare, Government, Aviation + Transportation, Justice, Recreation + Wellness, Retail, Sports, Recreation + Entertainment, Tall Buildings and Workplace projects. Their innovative portfolio encompasses Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning + Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Consulting and Sustainable Design. Given the firm’s robust growth and success they are seeking a Director of Design, Interiors for their growing St. Louis office.
The Director of Design, Interiors is responsible for the overall design leadership of the Interiors practice in St. Louis. Working closely with the Director of Interiors, they will build on the successes of the firm as a top design practice that vies for the most significant work. The Director of Design will promote quality design efforts of all departments within the office and actively engage in marketing and business development activities with the Director of Interiors and colleagues.
The Interior design team creates holistic solutions for places that reflect who organizations are and what they aspire to be. Space, color, materials, and light are tools to create healthy and uplifting environments. These spaces enhance people’s lives in the places they gather including offices, airports, hospitals, hotels, sports venues, schools, labs and more. The lines between work, life and play continue to blur, providing opportunities to bring together elements from previously distinct spaces. The firm’s interior designers leverage this space fusion to create multidimensional, experiential environments shaped by the people who use them.
Design Quality / Project Management
- Identifies new business opportunities while developing current client relationships. Listen for and seek out new projects which may exist or are being formulated.
- Participates in selected marketing and business development opportunities.
- Develops and nurtures positive client relationships.
- Assists marketing department in development of marketing campaigns, materials, webinars, etc. and overall proposal preparation. Provides oversight to marketing staff in the development of standard materials that describe the design portfolio, systems, and processes of the interior’s practice.
- Leads the preparation of award submittals.
- Assists in the preparation of press releases and other materials publicizing assigned projects.
- Works closely with project managers with respect to budget and schedule constraints.
- Utilizes and encourages best uses of design technology for presentation and production purposes.
- Assists others with project deadlines as available.
- Maintains an appropriate billable and non-billable percentage of personal and departmental time.
- Guides and monitors design activities on all Interiors projects; conducts office project technical and design reviews.
- Acts as mentor by coaching and motivating design teams and individuals; fostering an environment of mutual respect and trust among members of the group as it grows and develops.
- Prepares and delivers design staff evaluations; responsible for performance development, compensation decision-making and workload allocation processes of department.
- Supports diversity, company programs and develops continuing education opportunities (e.g., site visits, lectures, road trips) to expose design staff to influences which will stimulate design creativity and innovation.
- Participates in interviews and recruiting of professional staff.
- Encourages staff exploration and innovation to achieve project design excellence and continual improvement.
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with management and project team members.
- Participates in value-added professional associations, maintain active membership, and attend conferences as appropriate.
- Participates in appropriate professional and client-oriented organizations, maintain active memberships and attend conferences and activities.
- Participates with other Directors of Interiors and Interior Design in firm-wide activities. May serve on the company’s Design Board.
- Fosters an environment of mutual respect and passion for design among team members and within the office.
- Conducts employee performance evaluations.
- Leads office design reviews and critiques.
- Develops continuing education opportunities for the design staff (e.g. site visits; lectures; road trips) to expose design staff to influences which will stimulate their design thinking.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Significant talent in design, design development and project leadership for large-scale interior design projects.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor design staff.
- Advanced knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, materials application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Advanced knowledge of furniture, fixture, and equipment (FF&E), architectural/interior finishes, lighting, art, signage, color, and materials to carryout design intent.
- Ability to manage the design group with a collaborative leadership style which puts value on relationships, both internal and external.
- Ability to think strategically, implements change, enforces policy, and resolves conflict.
- Thorough understanding of project work plans, schedules, staffing, and budgets. Demonstrated ability to execute projects profitably.
- Proven ability to prioritize oneself and the work of others in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients.
- Proven ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with external clients and internal staff.
- Proven ability to masterfully present, effectively sell and negotiate the company’s firm-wide services.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Proficiency in the basic technical skills of interior design including the following computer skills:
- Knowledge of Deltek Vision highly preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Proficiency in Revit and BIM is preferred.
- Knowledge of 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 required.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software required.
- Bachelor’s degree in interior design or architecture required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15+ years’ experience with large interiors or architectural firm or division and 10 plus years as a senior level Interior Designer responsible for the design and project management of interiors. Supervisory experience required.
- Published and/or award-winning projects a plus.
- Must be professional Interior Designer and have passed the NCIDQ exam or be a registered Architect with current license required.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.