Our client is a leading international multi-disciplinary practice consistently recognized and awarded at the highest levels for design excellence, technical innovation and sustainable design leadership. The firm leverages its international expertise and in-depth knowledge of local markets through a network of culturally diverse, people-centric, global design studios focused on Aviation + Transportation, Civic + Cultural, Commercial, Education, Government, Healthcare, Hospitality, Justice, Recreation + Wellness, Residential, Retail, Science + Technology, Sports, Tall Buildings and Workplace projects. Their innovative work encompasses Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning + Urban Design, Space Management and Sustainability Consulting. Given the firm’s robust growth and success they are seeking a Sustainable Design Leader for their Los Angeles office.
The Sustainable Design Leader is a visionary with a passion for integrated architectural and engineering design for resilient and sustainable outcomes. As a key thought leader and industry expert in a highly collaborative global design practice, they are responsible for the overall Sustainable Design leadership of the regional practice, as well as promoting quality design efforts of all departments, and is acutely involved in the positioning of the practice in the pursuit, winning, and delivery of projects.
Working closely with the Director of Sustainability, they will assist the practice in developing and executing transformative design throughout the LA Metro region and nationally. As one of the top ten fully integrated Architecture and Engineering Practices in the world, the firm is committed to embedding equity, diversity and inclusion into every part of the organization.
- Engage clients in explorations of innovative, relevant, and sustainable design solutions
- Lead progress on firm’s 2030 commitment and Net Zero project targets and report back to senior leadership
- Initiate project sustainable design concepts and idea discussions while providing guidance to design teams during project design development
- Serve as a client liaison for the firm’s project team in an active and contributing role throughout the life of the project. Maintain an ongoing client relationship, post occupancy
- Serve as Project Sustainable Design Principal on selected projects
- Guide and advise design teams on projects, providing sustainable design input to ensure consistent and high-quality design throughout the studio. Conduct technical and sustainable design reviews of in-house projects
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of sustainable design presentations to clients and drive consultant work to achieve design goals
- Prepare fee and workload projections for assigned projects
- Understand and enforce conditions of client contract
- Mentor by coaching and motivating design teams and individuals. Foster an environment of mutual respect, open communication and trust within team, department and office
- Participate in interviews and recruiting of professional staff
- Develop and execute the regional business unit plan and managing the business unit’s marketing strategy; as well as the overall branding and development of the firm’s Sustainable Design Practice
- Participate in developing the annual business plan for the regional practice.
- Identify new business opportunities while developing current client relationships. Listen for and seek out new projects which may exist or are being formulated
- Participate in selected marketing and business development opportunities. Act as key presenter in new project interviews
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with consultants, contractors and community stakeholders resulting in increased potential business opportunities
- Develop fee proposals for marketing proposals and contract negotiation
- Assist Marketing Department in development of marketing campaigns, materials, webinars, etc. and overall proposal preparation. Provide oversight to marketing staff in the development of standard materials that describe the design portfolio, systems, and processes
- Assist in preparation of award submittals
- Assist in the preparation of press releases and other materials relevant to core practice and sustainable design practice
- Participate in local or state professional associations, maintain active membership, and attend conferences valued by clients as appropriate
- Serve as mentor/advisor to sustainability and other regional staff
- Prepare and deliver design staff evaluations; responsible for performance development, compensation decision-making and allocation processes of department
- Support diversity and develop continuing education opportunities (e.g. site visits, lectures, road trips) to expose design staff to influences which will stimulate design creativity and innovation
- Participate in interviews and recruiting of professional staff
- Encourage staff exploration and innovation to achieve project design excellence and continual improvement
- Foster and promote a green workplace through sustainable work practices
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering. Master’s degree preferred
- Registered Architect or Professional Engineer with current license preferred
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment
- 10+ years’ experience with large architectural firm or environmental consultancy including at least 5 years as senior level Sustainable Design Leader with supervisory experience
- Published and/or award winning projects a plus
- Experience in the design and delivery of LEED Gold or Platinum projects
- Advanced knowledge in certification standards (LEED, BREEM, LBC etc.)
- Experience with climate resilience, net zero/net positive, embodied carbon, and low-carbon building strategies and guidelines preferred
- Significant talent in sustainable design integration, design development and project leadership for large-scale projects
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design, trends, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier relationships
- Proven ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with external clients
- Proven ability to masterfully present, effectively sell and negotiate the services of the practice
- Knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Proficiency in the basic technical skills of the following computer skills: Proficiency in Deltek Vision highly preferred. Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel Outlook and Adobe Creative Suite required. Proficiency in Newforma preferred. Understanding of and ability to interpret and apply results from early modeling software: Vasari, Ecotect, DIVA, Radiance, DAYSIM, COMFEN, etc.
- Knowledge of Revit, AutoCAD and Sketchup preferred. Understanding of 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred