This award winning multi-disciplinary architecture, engineering + planning firm has an extensive portfolio encompassing multi-family residential, student housing, mixed-use and hospitality projects as well as corporate and government projects. The firm’s dynamic, design team structure promotes collaboration and innovation, while investing in the talent and expertise of all professional staff and incorporating the latest technology throughout the organization. They are committed to surpassing their clients’ expectations with design solutions that reflect and respect the unique cultural, social and built environment traditions of communities. Given the firm’s continued growth, they are seeking a Director of Structural Engineering with demonstrated experience and expertise across multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects, to assume a key leadership role in their Minneapolis office.
The Director is an entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, highly skilled in the design and leadership of structural engineering for large complex multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects while remaining focused on client engagement. S/he will work closely and collaborate with Project Managers and Directors in the oversight and development of concepts and strategies that respond to program, client and project requirements while striving for design excellence. The firm’s strengths lie in the integration of architecture, engineering and planning, and the Director, as a practice, design, client and office leader, will work closely across disciplines, collaborating in the development of exemplary projects. As a fully integrated practice creating dynamic buildings to live, work and play, the Director of Structural Engineering is integral to the project’s success through their expert engineering guidance and ability to lead and develop structural engineering talent.
With exceptional skills at building long-term relationships, s/he will be involved with business development efforts with architecture, marketing/BD and design colleagues to attract new clients and maintain existing clients regionally and nationally. The Director will oversee the full scope of projects including design management, project delivery and project performance/profitability. Adept with the big picture and the smallest details, the Director will have proven design, management and client leadership experience. S/he will communicate clearly with clients for any required decisions that impact the firm’s design goals, schedule and project delivery. S/he will create a culture of technical excellence that encourages emerging talent to learn and grow in an inclusive and collaborative environment.
The Director of Structural Engineering is actively engaged with clients and projects, leading or managing the following:
- Meet with clients to review owner engineering needs and prepare options for owner review and direction.
- Analyze the design requirements, specifications, and performance requirements to determine the best and most appropriate designs to meet customer expectations, code requirements, and all life and safety considerations.
- Determine feasibility of designing new facility engineering systems or modifying existing systems considering cost, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical factors.
- Provide technical information concerning advantages and limitations which affect long range facility and space planning.
- Confer openly and directly in a respectful and professional manner with colleagues to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs.
- Prepare or direct preparation of calculations and designs for structural engineering systems and detailed drawings
- Comply and analyze operation, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified designs.
- Provide leadership and work direction for Junior Engineers, Engineers in Training, and Designers working on assigned projects.
- Sign and seal engineering plans and specifications for assigned projects.
- Responsible for disciplinary budget on assigned projects.
- Oversee the necessary structural design work required on assigned projects.
- Proficiency with the IBC and ASCE 7 building design codes as well as material specific design codes for steel, concrete, wood, and masonry.
- Maintain appropriate records and files on assigned projects.
- Maintain a free flow of communications with the Partner-In-Charge and the Project Manager, as well as other Firm members relative to the activities on assigned projects.
- Responsible for the structural design process coordination with the other discipline leaders.
- Responsible for the technical accuracy and completeness of the structural engineering documentation for assigned projects.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- 10-15+ years progressive project experience and leadership on complex projects including multi-family residential, mixed-use or government
- BS degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university. MS degree in Structural Engineering preferred.
- Professional Engineering license required. Structural Engineering license preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to write reports and business correspondence. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective presenting information and responding to questions from managers, clients and the general public.
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility, and an understanding of market forces pertaining to fees, scope and schedule requirements
- Strong written, verbal and drawing communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency with structural engineering software such as RISA 3D/Floor, RAM Steel, ADAPT Floorpro/Edge/Matt, Enercalc, Woodworks, Ramsteel, and Microsoft Office Suite. AutoCad/Revit experience preferred.