Our client is an award-winning architecture, engineering, planning, and interior design firm consistently recognized as one of the top multi-disciplinary practices in the United States. The firm’s focus on sustainable technologically and programmatically complex buildings for higher education, scientific research, corporate research, and healthcare clients has placed them at the forefront of architectural design and innovation. The firm’s thought leaders translate a client’s mission and vision into world-class architecture that enhances organizational objectives and environments while promoting the highest levels of research, education, and care. Given the firm’s strategic planning and continued growth, they are seeking a Director of Science & Technology to assume a key leadership role in the firm.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Science & Technology, a nationally recognized academic science and engineering design expert, will lead programming and planning for a broad range of technology-intensive, sustainable environments. These include teaching, research, and core facilities for university, academic medical centers, and corporate clients. The firm is currently working on major initiatives with aspirational clients such as Yale University, Duke University, Brown University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, University of Maryland, New York-Presbyterian, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Columbia University, Merck, and J&J, amongst others.
This strategic leader is a thought and knowledge leader, seller, and doer who will work in concert with senior leadership colleagues developing and executing strategies to grow the firm’s Academic Science and Engineering project expertise in a sustainable and effective manner consistent with the firm’s core values. They will be responsible for development and advancement of the planning process, methodology, mentoring staff, developing lab planning metrics and benchmark data for projects, developing critical new prototypes for academic science & research projects, and communicating this information back to the firm on a regular basis to advance the dialogue and knowledge within the firm.
As an innovative and collaborative expert, they will represent the firm regarding laboratory planning and operations – trends, positions, and design direction. They will work across a variety of projects from program formation and conceptual design through the design development phases with extensive experience leading high-quality built work that compliments the firm’s current portfolio. As an expert, they are adept with presentations and interviews – articulating innovative solutions to the highest-level clients (President/Provosts, Deans, Chairs, Nobel Prize Winners), and speaking holistically about program, planning issues, and trends in interviews and conferences.
The Director of Science & Technology will maintain and uphold quality standards inherent to the firm through investment in evidence-based research, education, training, and planning team management. As an industry expert in academic science and engineering, they will be well versed in new industry trends and able to determine which planning and design approach provides the greatest value and impact given each scenario. They should be an active and engaged professional pursuing speaking and writing opportunities relating to the planning and design practices impacting scientific research. They will have experience winning and delivering large-scale academic science & engineering projects and taking advantage of synergies across market sectors in business development pursuits.
This is an opportunity to build upon a culture of excellence and excitement for academic science and engineering projects and serve as an inspiring mentor to others in the design community. The firm has been recognized nationally with many design and engineering awards including R&D Magazine’s “Lab of the Year.” The Director of Laboratory Science & Technology will be an integral part of the collaborative leadership in advancing the firm’s innovation, sustainability, and design quality mission.
The Director of Science & Technology will have a synergistic relationship with the Director of Healthcare Planning to capitalize on the interrelationships between Medical Research, Education, and Translational Medicine as well as team synergies within the practice.
The primary objectives for the Director of Science & Technology are to:
- Represent the firm as a nationally recognized Academic Science and Engineering Project Expert and Client Leader across the Firm and throughout the marketplace.
- Develop innovative laboratory planning strategies that respond to clients’ tactical and strategic objectives while driving design excellence and collaboration across all academic science projects.
- Build project-specific strategies in the business development phase by creating a unique value proposition, design strategy, presentation content, differentiation, and value-added elements, working in collaboration with firm leadership.
This position requires significant experience operating at the highest levels of Academic Science and Engineering strategy, planning, design, and delivery in the development of client-focused solutions.
Candidates should demonstrate experience building client relationships, leading, and collaborating with personnel at all levels, and achieving successful results with a high degree of quality, productivity, and profitability. In addition, candidates should have a track record of securing project commissions and developing long-term professional relationships as a trusted advisor.
Candidates should be versatile, self-motivated, and articulate; be experienced in working successfully with others; and have excellent communication and mentoring skills.
Candidates should demonstrate progressive leadership experience in all phases of Academic Science and Engineering projects.
- Nationally Recognized Academic Science and Engineering Project Expert
- 15+ years progressive experience dedicated to leadership in Academic Science and Engineering projects
- Architecture Licensure preferred; LEED AP preferred
- Substantial experience in the design and delivery of innovative academic science and engineering projects
- Exceptional public speaking and design presentation skills
- Ability to engage and manage teams with diplomatic leadership style emphasizing internal and external relationships
- Strong understanding of client business issues related to laboratory planning strategies including assessment and analytical skills
- Ability to develop a rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants, and vendors
- Proven track record identifying leads, developing relationships, and building a network
- Speaker at Professional Conferences and publisher of professional papers and/or articles
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally