This award winning multi-disciplinary architecture + design firm has an extensive portfolio encompassing multi-family residential, student housing, mixed-use and hospitality projects as well as corporate and government. The firm’s dynamic, design team structure promotes collaboration and innovation, while investing in the talent and expertise of all professional staff and incorporating the latest technology throughout the organization. They are committed to surpassing their clients’ expectations with design solutions that reflect and respect the unique cultural, social and built environment traditions of communities. Given the firm’s continued growth, they are seeking a Director of Landscape + Urban Design with demonstrated experience and expertise leading multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects, to assume a key leadership role in their growing Washington, DC studio.
The Director is an entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, highly skilled in the design and leadership of landscapes + urban design for large complex multi-family, mixed-use and/or commercial projects while remaining focused on client engagement. They will work closely and collaborate with Project Managers, Directors and the CEO in the development of concepts and strategies that respond to program, client and project requirements while striving for design excellence. The firm’s strengths lie in the integration of architecture, landscape architecture and engineering, and the Director, as a design, client and office leader, will work closely across disciplines, collaborating in the development of exemplary projects. As a fully integrated practice creating indoor and outdoor spaces to live, work and play, the Landscape Architecture + Urban Design Practice’s new urbanism focus encompasses community and new town planning, and the development of outdoor environments inclusive of courtyards, plazas, and pools, where people want to gather and enjoy the outdoors.
With exceptional skills at building long-term relationships, s/he will lead marketing efforts with the CEO, business development and design colleagues to attract new clients and maintain existing clients regionally and nationally. The Director will manage the full scope of projects including design management, project delivery and project performance/ profitability. Adept with the big picture and the smallest details, the Director will have proven design and client leadership experience. They will communicate clearly with clients for any required decisions that impact the firm’s design goals, schedule and delivery of documents. They will create a culture of design that encourages emerging talent to learn and grow in an inclusive and collaborative environment.
- Lead large complex multi-family, mixed-use, student housing and hospitality projects while building a culture of design across the practice.
- Lead marketing efforts with the business development staff, management staff and the design staff to attract new clients and to maintain existing clients.
- Oversee project document process for issuance, to meet the client’s development program and budget. Implements design and production processes and policies in line with the project fee budget, goals and professional standards.
- Lead the design team in overviewing the plan layouts process for the projects; including the determination of functional and spatial requirements and prepares information regarding design, specifications, and materials.
- Market and coordinate the integration of the firm’s “holistic multi-disciplinary approach” in a unified design for client review and approval.
- Maintain appropriate records and files accessible to the firm’s leadership.
- Maintain a free flow of communication with the Directors, Project Managers and staff members relative to duties and activities.
- Perform as Client leader for the service and documents production with Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design and Engineering staff and independent consultants.
- Collaborate with the CEO regarding the Boards overall strategy, goals and policies.
- Overview the design and technical quality review process as part of client “promise” delivery process. Provide internal quality reviews of projects and teams under their direct control.
- Support, implement and coordinate office standards and procedures during the project delivery process.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture or Urban Design/Planning and Licensure required, LEED AP preferred
- 15+ years progressive project experience and leadership on complex projects including multi-family residential, mixed-use or government
- Experience with all phases of projects including successful experience navigating and interacting with planning boards and review boards.
- Collaborative leader with a proven track record of running teams and working closely with clients, sub-consultants and vendors while completing large, complex projects
- Strong knowledge of zoning ordinances, laws and regulations related to design and construction for multi-family residential and/or hospitality projects
- Proven ability to present information and respond quickly to inquiries from managers, clients, and the general public
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility, and an understanding of market forces pertaining to fees, scope and schedule requirements
- Strong written, verbal and drawing communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective presenting information and responding to questions from managers, clients and the general public.
- Active member of ULI, ASLA, AICP or other industry organizations preferred.
- Strong proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, LandFX, Lumion, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office preferred.